ChanChan Spice Bag Seasoning with Char Sui Pork & Crispy Chicken Wings
Kwanghi Chan’s Interpretation of a spice bag recipe is inspired by the late-night snack popular in Ireland, a combination of Chinese char Sui pork belly, and crispy chicken wings and chips served inside a paper bag for a fuss-free clean up, or I don’t want to say it's slowly gaining a huge popularity and becoming a new Irish/Chinese street food in Dublin over the years
In this recipe kwanghi combines an inspiration of his favourite guilty pleasures of char sui pork belly & chicken wings mixing it chanchan Spice Bag seasoning making it into a ultimate Guilty Pleasure craving snack that you can do at home anytime!!
Spice bag recipe
Serve a party of 10
Char Sui Braised pork Belly
- · 500g pork belly meat, cut into small cube 3cm pieces
- · 70ml of rice wine vinegar
- · 70ml of dark soya sauce (Tamari soya sauce for GF option)
- · 70ml of honey
- · 1 piece of fresh ginger, thumb-sized, peeled
- · 3 garlic cloves
- · 2 tablespoon of chan chan spice bag seasoning
Boneless Chicken wings
- · 500g chicken wings (deboned optional )
- · 1 lemon
- · 5 beaten Egg whites ( egg wash)
- · 100g of potato flour, for dusting
- · sunflower oil, for deep frying
- · salt
Shoe String Chips
- · 1kg Maris Piper potatoes, skin on, cut into shoe string chips
- · sunflower oil for deep frying
Vegetables for wok
- · 1 red peppers and 1 green pepper , sliced 1 mm
- · 1 banana shallot, sliced 1 mm
- · Donegal rapeseed oil
ChanChan Spice Bag Seasoning
- 3 teaspoons or to you own taste.
- 4 red chillies, finely sliced
1. Start off by making your braised pork belly. Cut the to remove the meat pieces, and cut in to dice 3 cm , in a large pot and cover the diced belly meat with the ginger, garlic in a plastic bag and get a rolling pin and smash them gently this will release more flavour that chopping, dark soy, honey and rice wine vinegar. Spice bag seasoning, Leave to marinade for an 30mins in refrigerator
2. Cover the marinated meat with water and place in the oven @ 180c for 30 mins and stir ever 10 mins after till tender then Continue to gently simmer for around 1 and half to 2 hours, until the pork is soft and tender by taste.
3. On to the chicken wings and debone out of the meat, make a cut it in the middle of the wings and remove them, or you can leave it. Place them in the beaten egg mix, and fork them out of the egg mixture in to potato flour and let it rest for 5 mins and deep fry until crispy and cooked, at 180c for 6 mins. Remove the chicken wings and leave to drain on some kitchen towel and keep warm
4. Remove the cooked and tender pork belly meat, placing into a dish or tray, and strain the meat from the liquor.
5. Preheat the fryer or ACTi fry or deep fat fryer is up to up! and Place the shoe string chips and cook until cook and crispy, drain on a paper towel in a bowl and keep warm.
6. In a large wok over a low heat drizzle rapeseed oil, and fry the shallot, peepers, making sure that they are not too crowded (you may need to use two). add the spice bag seasoning and mix through the wok
7. Throw in all the cooked belly pork meat, cooked crispy chicken wings and the chips and toss in the wok and add some more of the spice bag mix all over and keep tossing in a bowl….
8. Then spoon everything into paper bags add some slices of red chilli to each bag and serve!
Now this is a spice bag with a difference!!! enjoy