Stir-Fried Chinese Vegetables With Hong Kong Street Sauce
Stir-Fried Chinese Vegetables with Hong Kong Street Sauce
You will need …….
- 4 tablespoons Donegal rapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 red onion, trimmed and cut into 4 wedges, layers separated
- 2 heads baby bok choy, trimmed, cut lengthwise in quarters
- 1/4 pound Chinese broccoli, stems and leaves separated, each cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound Chinese long beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 scallions, trimmed, 5 cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces, 1 thinly sliced and reserved separately
- 1/4 head Napa cabbage, leaves cut crosswise into 1-inch-wide strips
- 2/3 cup good-quality chicken stock or broth, vegetable broth, or water, heated
- 1 tablespoon of Hong Kong Street Sauce
- 1 tablespoons cornflour, dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
And the fun part………
- Heat a large wok over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the ginger, garlic, and chili flakes and stir-fry just until they are aromatic, about 30 seconds. Scoop out the aromatics and set them aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok. When it is hot, add the onion pieces and stir-fry until they turn glossy and bright, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the bok choy and the Chinese broccoli stem pieces. Stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add the long beans, sliced mushrooms and the 1-inch scallion pieces. Continue stir-frying until they are bright green and glossy, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add the Napa cabbage and the Chinese broccoli leaves, along with about 1/3 cup of the hot stock and the reserved aromatics. Continue stir-frying until the vegetables are all tender-crisp, about 2 minutes more. Add the remaining stock, Hong Kong Street Sauce, and corn-flour mixture and stir-fry until the vegetables all look lightly glazed with sauce, about 1 minute more.
Transfer the stir-fried vegetables to a heated serving dish. Garnish with the sliced scallions and sesame seeds and serve immediately.